Main Article Content
bronchial epithelial cells, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, cigarette smoke extract, CXCL10, inflammation, PRMT5
Background: Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is related to inflammation and obstruction of the lungs and airways. Protein arginine methyltransferase 5 (PRMT5) that pro-motes arginine methylation of histones is associated with inflammation of endothelial cell and is implicated in lung branching morphogenesis and progression of lung cancer. The mechanism of PRMT5 in inflammatory response of COPD was explored in this study.
Methods: Human bronchial epithelial cells, 16HBE, were treated with cigarette smoke extract for 24 h to establish cell model of COPD. Cell viability was examined by MTT assay. Western blot and reverse transcription-quantitative polymerase chain reaction (RT-qPCR) assays were used to explore expression of PRMT5. Expression of Interleukin (IL)-6, IL-8, tumor necrosis factor-α (TNF-α), and IL-1β were investigated by enzyme-linked-ithe mmunosorbent serologic assay.
Results: Cigarette smoke extract treatment induced cytotoxity of 16HBE with reduced cell viability. PRMT5 was enhanced in cigarette smoke extract-induced 16HBE. Knockdown of PRMT5 increased cell viability of cigarette smoke extract-induced 16HBE, and attenuated cigarette smoke extract-induced increase of IL-6, IL-8, TNF-α, and IL-1β. Up-regulation of C-X-C Motif Chemokine 10 (CXCL10) in cigarette smoke extract-induced 16HBE was restored by knockdown of PRMT5. Over-expression of CXCL10 counteracted with the suppressive effect of PRMT5 silence on expression of IL-6, IL-8, TNF-α, and IL-1β. Moreover, PRMT5 silence-induced increase of cell viability in cigarette smoke extract-induced 16HBE was reversed by over-expression of CXCL10.
Conclusion: Knockdown of PRMT5 promoted cell viability of cigarette smoke extract-induced 16HBE, and reduced inflammation through down-regulation of CXCL10.
2. López-Campos JL, Tan W, Soriano JB. Global burden of COPD. Respirology. 2016;21(1):14-23.
3. Jindal SK. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in non-smokers - Is it a different phenotype? Indian J Med Res. 2018;147(4):337-9.
4. Barnes PJ. Inflammatory mechanisms in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. 2016;138(1):16-27.
5. Roda MA, Xu X, Abdalla TH, Sadik M, Szul T, Bratcher PE, et al. Proline-Glycine-Proline Peptides Are Critical in the Development of Smoke-induced Emphysema. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2019;61(5):560-6.
6. Wu Q, Schapira M, Arrowsmith CH, Barsyte-Lovejoy D. Protein arginine methylation: from enigmatic functions to therapeutic targeting. Nature Reviews Drug Discovery. 2021;20(7):509-30.
7. Zakrzewicz D, Zakrzewicz A, Preissner KT, Markart P, Wygrecka M. Protein Arginine Methyltransferases (PRMTs): promising targets for the treatment of pulmonary disorders. Int J Mol Sci. 2012;13(10):12383-400.
8. Li M, An W, Xu L, Lin Y, Su L, Liu X. The arginine methyltransferase PRMT5 and PRMT1 distinctly regulate the degradation of anti-apoptotic protein CFLAR(L) in human lung cancer cells. J Exp Clin Cancer Res. 2019;38(1):64-.
9. Jing P, Zhao N, Ye M, Zhang Y, Zhang Z, Sun J, et al. Protein arginine methyltransferase 5 promotes lung cancer metastasis via the epigenetic regulation of miR-99 family/FGFR3 signaling. Cancer Letters. 2018;427:38-48.
10. Kim JH, Yoo BC, Yang WS, Kim E, Hong S, Cho JY. The Role of Protein Arginine Methyltransferases in Inflammatory Responses. Mediators Inflamm. 2016;2016:4028353-.
11. Chen D, Zeng S, Huang M, Xu H, Liang L, Yang X. Role of protein arginine methyltransferase 5 in inflammation and migration of fibroblast-like synoviocytes in rheumatoid arthritis. Journal of Cellular and Molecular Medicine. 2017;21(4):781-90.
12. Yildirim A, Königshoff M, Wang Q, Eickelberg O, editors. Expression Profiling Of Protein Arginine Methyltransferase (Prmt) Isoforms In Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD). ATS 2010; 2010.
13. Li T, Fanning KV, Nyunoya T, Chen Y, Zou C. Cigarette smoke extract induces airway epithelial cell death via repressing PRMT6/AKT signaling. Aging (Albany NY). 2020;12(23):24301-17.
14. Li T, He X, Luo L, Zeng H, Ren S, Chen Y. F-Box Protein FBXW17-Mediated Proteasomal Degradation of Protein Methyltransferase PRMT6 Exaggerates CSE-Induced Lung Epithelial Inflammation and Apoptosis. Front Cell Dev Biol. 2021;9:599020-.
15. Li Q, Jiao J, Li H, Wan H, Zheng C, Cai J, et al. Histone arginine methylation by Prmt5 is required for lung branching morphogenesis through repression of BMP signaling. Journal of Cell Science. 2018;131(14).
16. Shen Q, Zheng J, Wang X, Hu W, Jiang Y, Jiang Y. LncRNA SNHG5 regulates cell apoptosis and inflammation by miR-132/PTEN axis in COPD. Biomedicine & Pharmacotherapy. 2020;126:110016.
17. Garcia-Rio F, Miravitlles M, Soriano JB, Muñoz L, Duran-Tauleria E, Sánchez G, et al. Systemic inflammation in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a population-based study. Respiratory Research. 2010;11(1):63.
18. Diao C, Chen Z, Qiu T, Liu H, Yang Y, Liu X, et al. Inhibition of PRMT5 Attenuates Oxidative Stress-Induced Pyroptosis via Activation of the Nrf2/HO-1 Signal Pathway in a Mouse Model of Renal Ischemia-Reperfusion Injury. Oxid Med Cell Longev. 2019;2019:2345658-.
19. Hao W, Li M, Pang Y, Du W, Huang X. Increased chemokines levels in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: correlation with quantitative computed tomography metrics. The British Journal of Radiology. 2020;94(1118):20201030.
20. Saetta M, Mariani M, Panina-Bordignon P, Turato G, Buonsanti C, Baraldo S, et al. Increased expression of the chemokine receptor CXCR3 and its ligand CXCL10 in peripheral airways of smokers with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. American journal of respiratory and critical care medicine. 2002;165(10):1404-9.
21. Maurer JR. Acute Exacerbations of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease: Identification of Biologic Clusters and Their Biomarkers. Yearbook of Pulmonary Disease. 2012;2012:42-3.
22. Jing H, Liu L, Zhou J, Yao H. Inhibition of C-X-C Motif Chemokine 10 (CXCL10) Protects Mice from Cigarette Smoke-Induced Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. Med Sci Monit. 2018;24:5748-53.
23. Hardaker EL, Bacon AM, Carlson K, Roshak AK, Foley JJ, Schmidt DB, et al. Regulation of TNF-α and IFN-γ induced CXCL10 expression: participation of the airway smooth muscle in the pulmonary inflammatory response in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. The FASEB Journal. 2004;18(1):191-3.
24. Harris DP, Bandyopadhyay S, Maxwell TJ, Willard B, DiCorleto PE. Tumor necrosis factor (TNF)-α induction of CXCL10 in endothelial cells requires protein arginine methyltransferase 5 (PRMT5)-mediated nuclear factor (NF)-κB p65 methylation. J Biol Chem. 2014;289(22):15328-39.
25. Dong Y, Song C, Wang Y, Lei Z, Xu F, Guan H, et al. Inhibition of PRMT5 suppresses osteoclast differentiation and partially protects against ovariectomy-induced bone loss through downregulation of CXCL10 and RSAD2. Cellular Signalling. 2017;34:55-65.