USP13 reduces septic mediated cardiomyocyte oxidative stress and inflammation by inducing Nrf2
Main Article Content
Cardiovascular Disease, LPS, Nrf2, Septic Shock, USP13
Background: Sepsis is a common cardiovascular complication that can cause heart damage. The regulatory role of ubiquitin-specific peptidase 13 (USP13) on erythroid 2–related factor 2 (Nrf2) has been reported, but its regulatory role in septic cardiomyopathy remains unclear.
Methods: The Sprague Dawley (SD) rat model of septic myocardial injury was constructed by lipopolysaccharides (LPS). The serum lactate dehydrogenase (LDH) and creatine kinase (CK) levels were detected, the mRNA and protein expression levels of Nrf2 and USP13 in tissues were detected by real-time quantitative reverse transcription PCR (qRT-PCR) and western blot (WB), and the expression of USP13 at the treatment time of 3 h, 6 h, and 12 h was also detected. The cell viability and USP13, Nrf-2 and heme oxygenase-1 (HO-1) expression levels of H9C2-treated cells by LPS and the oxidative stress level and inflammatory response of H9C2 cells were detected by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) and WB.
Results: The results showed that USP13 was downregulated in septic myocardial injury tissues, and the Nrf2 level was increased in vitro after the cells were treated with LPS. Overexpression of USP13 further induced Nrf2 to reduce apoptosis, oxidative stress, and expression of inflammatory factors.
Conclusion: In conclusion, this study demonstrated that USP13 was downregulated in septic myocardial injury tissues, and USP13 overexpression increased Nrf2 levels and reduced apoptosis. Further studies showed that USP13 reduced LPS-induced oxidative stress and inflammation by inducing Nrf2.
2. Chapman AR, Adamson PD, Mills NL. Assessment and classification of patients with myocardial injury and infarction in clinical practice. Heart. 2017;103(1):10–18. 10.1136/heartjnl-2016-309530
3. DeFilippis AP, Chapman AR, Mills NL, De Lemos JA, Arbab-Zadeh A, Newby LK, et al. Assessment and treatment of patients with type 2 myocardial infarction and acute nonischemic myocardial injury. Circulation. 2019;140(20):1661–78. 10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.119.040631
4. Geri G, Vignon P, Aubry A, Fedou AL, Charron C, Silva S, et al. Cardiovascular clusters in septic shock combining clinical and echocardiographic parameters: A post hoc analysis. Intensive Care Med. 2019;45(5):657–67. 10.1007/s00134-019-05596-z
5. Battino M, Giampieri F, Pistollato F, Sureda A, de Oliveira MR, Pittalà V, et al. Nrf2 as regulator of innate immunity: A molecular Swiss army knife! Biotechnol Adv. 2018;36(2):358–70. 10.1016/j.biotechadv.2017.12.012
6. Virág L, Jaén RI, Regdon Z, Boscá L, Prieto P. Self-defense of macrophages against oxidative injury: Fighting for their own survival. Redox Biol. 2019;26:101261. 10.1016/j.redox.2019.101261
7. Seelige R, Saddawi-Konefka R, Adams NM, Picarda G, Sun JC, Benedict CA, et al. Interleukin-17D and Nrf2 mediate initial innate immune cell recruitment and restrict MCMV infection. Sci Rep. 2018;8(1):13670. 10.1038/s41598-018-32011-2
8. Wang Y, Wang X, Zhang L, Zhang R. Alleviation of acute lung injury in rats with sepsis by resveratrol via the phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase/nuclear factor-erythroid 2 related factor 2/heme oxygenase-1 (PI3K/Nrf2/HO-1) pathway. Med Sci Monit. 2018;24:3604–11. 10.12659/MSM.910245
9. Wang Y, Feng F, Liu M, Xue J, Huang H. Resveratrol ameliorates sepsis-induced acute kidney injury in a pediatric rat model via Nrf2 signaling pathway. Exp Ther Med. 2018;16(4):3233–40. 10.3892/etm.2018.6533
10. Meng F, Lai H, Luo Z, Liu Y, Huang X, Chen J, et al. Effect of Xuefu Zhuyu decoction pretreatment on myocardium in sepsis rats. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2018;2018:2939307. 10.1155/2018/2939307
11. Song W, Zhang T, Yang N, Zhang T, Wen R, Liu C. Inhibition of micro RNA miR-122-5p prevents lipopolysaccharide-induced myocardial injury by inhibiting oxidative stress, inflammation and apoptosis via targeting GIT1. Bioengineered. 2021;12(1):1902–15. 10.1080/21655979.2021.1926201
12. Zhang J, Yang Z, Liang Z, Wang M, Hu C, Chang C, et al. Anti-Interleukin-16 neutralizing antibody treatment alleviates sepsis-induced cardiac injury and dysfunction via the nuclear factor erythroid-2 related factor 2 pathway in mice. Oxid Med Cell Longev. 2021;2021:6616422. 10.1155/2021/6616422
13. Xu J, Tan Q, Li T. USP22 promotes the expression of GLUT1 and HK2 to facilitate growth and glycolysis in cervical cancer cells. Eur J Gynaecol Oncol. 2020;41(5):790–6. 10.31083/j.ejgo.2020.05.2158
14. Giron P, Eggermont C, Noeparast A, Vandenplas H, Teugels E, Forsyth R, et al. Targeting USP13-mediated drug tolerance increases the efficacy of EGFR inhibition of mutant EGFR in non-small cell lung cancer. Int J Cancer. 2020;148(10):2579–93. 10.1002/ijc.33404
15. Yang D, Jiang Y, Qian H, Liu X, Mi L. Silencing cardiac troponin i-interacting kinase reduces lipopolysaccharide-induced sepsis-induced myocardial dysfunction in rat by regulating apoptosis-related proteins. BioMed Res Int. 2021;2021:5520051. 10.1155/2021/5520051
16. Chen L, Liu P, Feng X, Ma C. Salidroside suppressing LPS-induced myocardial injury by inhibiting ROS-mediated PI 3K/Akt/mTOR pathway in vitro and in vivo. J Cell Mol Med. 2017;21(12):3178–89. 10.1111/jcmm.12871
17. Shi S, Pan X, Lin W, Wu C, Ye M, Zhuang Y, et al. Establishment of a linear correlation model of central venous blood oxygen saturation and lactate in sepsis. Signa Vitae. 2021;17(1):101–5.
18. Callegari GA, Novaes JS, Neto GR, Dias I, Garrido ND, Dani C. Creatine kinase and lactate dehydrogenase responses after different resistance and aerobic exercise protocols. J Hum Kinet. 2017;58:65–72. 10.1515/hukin-2017-0071
19. Li X, Yang G, Zhang W, Qin B, Ye Z, Shi H, et al. USP13: Multiple functions and target Inhibition. Front Cell Develop Biol. 2022;10:875124. 10.3389/fcell.2022.875124
20. Shen Y, Liu X, Shi J, Wu X. Involvement of Nrf2 in myocardial ischemia and reperfusion injury. Int J Biol Macromol. 2019;125:496–502. 10.1016/j.ijbiomac.2018.11.190
21. Lee B, Kim YH, Lee W, Kwak MS, Shin JS. USP13 enhances the function of p62/SQSTM1 by increasing its stability and aggregate formation. J Immunol. 2021;206(1 Supplement):15.15.
22. Huang J, Ye Z, Wang J, Chen Q, Huang D, Liu H. USP13 mediates PTEN to ameliorate osteoarthritis by restraining oxidative stress, apoptosis and inflammation via AKT-dependent manner. Biomed Pharmacother. 2021;133:111089. 10.1016/j.biopha.2020.111089
23. Bezanger-Beauquesne L, Torck M, Pinkas M. Flavonoids of leguminous plants: Research on the flowers of Vicia cracca. C R Hebd Seances Acad Sci D. 1968;266(8):839–41.
24. Qu S, Fan L, Qi Y, Xu C, Hu Y, Chen S, et al. Akkermansia muciniphila alleviates dextran sulfate sodium (DSS)-induced acute colitis by NLRP3 activation. Microbiol Spectr. 2021;9(2):e0073021. 10.1128/Spectrum.00730-21
25. Xuan X, Sun Z, Yu C, Chen J, Chen M, Wang Q, et al. Network pharmacology-based study of the protective mechanism of conciliatory anti-allergic decoction on asthma. Allergol Immunopathol. 2020;48(5):441–9. 10.1016/j.aller.2019.12.011