Main Article Content
inflammatory bowel disease, NF-κB, pyroptosis, TLR4, TRIM52
Introduction: Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), which mainly leads to diarrhea, fatigue, stool blood, abdominal pain, and cramping, is threatening public health. Tripartite motif-containing 52 (TRIM52) has been reported to play an important role in inflammatory responses via activating the toll-like receptor 4 (TLR4)/nuclear factor-κB (NF-κB) pathway. However, the causes of IBD need to be elucidated, and the function of TRIM52 in IBD remains unclear. Here, we demonstrated that TRIM52 aggravated inflammation and pyroptosis in dextran sulfate sodium (DSS)-induced IBD by activating TLR4/NF-κBs pathway.
Methods: The colitis model was established on mice through DSS induction. For the TRIM52 knockdown, the mice were infected with a recombinant adenoviral vector expressing sgRNAs targeting TRIM52. RT-qPCR, western blot, and immunohistochemistry were performed to verify TRIM52 expression in DSS-induced IBD. The body weight, disease activity index, colon length, and H&E staining were used to assess the IBD symptoms in mice with TRIM52 knockdown. The inflammatory responses were examined by RT-qPCR and ELISA measuring tumor necrosis factor-α (TNF-α), inter-leukin 6 (IL-6), and interleukin 1β (IL-1β). Furthermore, the pyroptosis in colon tissue was detected by western blot. Finally, the TLR4/NF-κBs pathway activity was also examined by western blot.
Results: TRIM52 expression was up-regulated in DSS-induced IBD, and knockdown of TRIM52 could alleviate the symptoms of IBD. TRIM52 knockdown retarded DSS-induced inflammatory response and inhibited DSS-induced pyroptosis in colon tissue. In addition, TRIM52 played a role in activating TLR4/NF-κBs pathway.
Conclusion: Knockdown of TRIM52 alleviated inflammation and pyroptosis in IBD by regulating TLR4/NF-κBs pathway. TRIM52 is expected to be a novel diagnostic indicator for IBD and a target of therapeutic treatment.
2. Baumgart DC, Carding SR. Inflammatory bowel disease: cause and immunobiology. Lancet. 2007;369(9573):1627–40. 10.1016/S0140-6736(07)60750-8
3. Coll NS, Epple P, Dangl JL. Programmed cell death in the plant immune system. Cell Death Differ. 2011;18(8):1247–56. 10.1038/cdd.2011.37
4. Ma Y, Jiang J, Gao Y, Shi T, Zhu X, Zhang K, et al. Research progress of the relationship between pyroptosis and disease. Am J Transl Res. 2018;10(7):2213.
5. Gibson PR. Increased gut permeability in Crohn’s disease: is TNF the link? Gut. 2004;53(12):1724–5. 10.1136/gut.2004.047092
6. Xu Z, Liu R, Huang L, Xu Y, Su M, Chen J, et al. CD147 aggravated inflammatory bowel disease by triggering NF-κB-Mediated pyroptosis. Biomed Res Int. 2020; 2020. 10.1155/2020/5341247
7. Tomar D, Singh R. TRIM13 regulates ubiquitination and turnover of NEMO to suppress TNF induced NF-κB activation. Cell Signal. 2014;26(12):2606–13. 10.1016/j.cellsig.2014.08.008
8. Liu P, Cui L, Shen L. Knockdown of TRIM52 alleviates LPS-induced inflammatory injury in human periodontal ligament cells through the TLR4/NF-κB pathway. Biosci Rep. 2020;40(8):BSR20201223. 10.1042/BSR20201223
9. Sun J, Liu P, Mao J, Han W, Jiang X, Gu Y. TRIM52 positively mediates NF-κB to promote the growth of human benign prostatic hyperplasia cells through affecting TRAF2 ubiquiti-nation. Life Sci. 2020; 259:118380. 10.1016/j.lfs.2020.118380
10. Zhang P, Wu Y, Li R, Lv H, Yu B. Tripartite motif containing 52 positively regulates NF-κB signaling by promoting IκBα ubiquitination in lipopolysaccharide-treated microglial cell activation. Med Sci Monit Basic Res. 2020;26:e925356-925351. 10.12659/MSM.925356
11. Pan S, Deng Y, Fu J, Zhang Y, Zhang Z, Ru X. TRIM52 promotes colorectal cancer cell proliferation through the STAT3 signaling. Cancer Cell Int. 2019;19(1):1–11. 10.1186/s12935-019-0775-4
12. Han X, Wu Y, Zhuang Y, Zhang J. Dexmedetomidine reduces dextran sulfate sodium (DSS)-induced NCM460 cell inflammation and barrier damage by inhibiting RhoA/ROCK signaling pathway. Allergol Immunopathol. 2022;50(3):85–92. 10.15586/aei.v50i3.569
13. Xu H, Xiao T, Chen C-H, Li W, Meyer CA, Wu Q, et al. Sequence determinants of improved CRISPR sgRNA design. Genome Res. 2015;25(8):1147–57. 10.1101/gr.191452.115
14. Rahmati M, Keshvari M, Xie W, Yang G, Jin H, Li H, et al. Resistance training and Urtica dioica increase neurotrophin levels and improve cognitive function by increasing age in the hippocampus of rats. Biomed Pharmacother. 2022;153:113306. 10.1016/j.biopha.2022.113306
15. Rahmati M, Taherabadi SJ. The effects of exercise training on Kinesin and GAP-43 expression in skeletal muscle fibers of STZ-induced diabetic rats. Sci Rep. 2021;11(1):1–9. 10.1038/s41598-021-89106-6
16. Chen X, Liu G, Yuan Y, Wu G, Wang S, Yuan L. NEK7 interacts with NLRP3 to modulate the pyroptosis in inflammatory bowel disease via NF-κB signaling. Cell Death Dis. 2019;10(12):1–12. 10.1038/s41419-019-2157-1
17. da Costa Gonçalves F, Schneider N, Mello HF, Passos EP, Meurer L, Cirne-Lima E, et al. Characterization of acute murine dextran sodium sulfate (DSS) colitis: severity of Infl ammation is dependent on the DSS molecular weight and concentration. Acta Sci Vet. 2013;41(1):1–9.
18. Gordon S, Martinez FO. Alternative activation of macrophages: mechanism and functions. Immunity. 2010;32(5):593–604. 10.1016/j.immuni.2010.05.007
19. Lu W, Song D, Yue J, Wang T, Zhou X, Zhang P, et al. NLRP 3 inflammasome may regulate the inflammatory response of human periodontal ligament fibroblasts in an apoptosis-associated speck-like protein containing a CARD (ASC)-dependent manner. Int Endod J. 2017;50(10):967–75. 10.1111/iej.12722
20. Yu C, Zhang C, Kuang Z, Zheng Q. The role of NLRP3 inflammasome activities in bone diseases and vascular calcification. Inflammation. 2021;44(2):434–49. 10.1007/s10753-020-01357-z
21. Li S, Sun Y, Song M, Song Y, Fang Y, Zhang Q, et al. NLRP3/ caspase-1/GSDMD–mediated pyroptosis exerts a crucial role in astrocyte pathological injury in a mouse model of depression. JCI Insight. 2021;6(23): e146852. 10.1172/jci.insight.146852
22. Yao F, Jin Z, Zheng Z, Lv X, Ren L, Yang J, et al. HDAC11 promotes both NLRP3/caspase-1/GSDMD and caspase-3/GSDME pathways causing pyroptosis via ERG in vascular endothelial cells. Cell Death Discov. 2022;8(1):1–11. 10.1038/s41420-022-00906-9
23. Yan H, Luo B, Wu X, Guan F, Yu X, Zhao L, et al. Cisplatin induces pyroptosis via activation of MEG3/NLRP3/caspase-1/ GSDMD pathway in triple-negative breast cancer. Int J Biol Sci. 2021;17(10):2606. 10.7150/ijbs.60292
24. Halpin SJ, Ford AC. Prevalence of symptoms meeting criteria for irritable bowel syndrome in inflammatory bowel disease: systematic review and meta-analysis. Am J Gastroenterol. 2012;107(10):1474–82. 10.1038/ajg.2012.260
25. Ji S, Zhang Q. Momordica charantia polysaccharides alleviate diarrhea-predominant irritable bowel syndrome by regulating intestinal inflammation and barrier via NF-κB pathway. Allergol Immunopathol. 2022; 50(3):62–70. 10.15586/aei.v50i3.584