Main Article Content
Asthma, Asthma-COPD overlap syndrome (ACOS), Chlamydia pneumoniae, Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
Asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) have traditionally been approached as separate entities that must be researched and treated separately. There is growing recognition, however, that a substantial proportion of patients with obstructive lung disease have characteristics of both asthma and COPD (termed the asthma–COPD overlap syndrome (ACOS)). Lung disease experts have difficulty defining ACOS, and many still resist accepting the possibility that asthma and COPD may be linked. It is likely that practicing clinicians may be equally confused about how to identify and treat ACOS. This narrative review aims to clarify concepts of ACOS definition, argues that the best way to understand ACOS is to view the chronic lung disease process longitudinally rather than cross-sectionally, and presents evidence that ACOS can be the end result of the natural history of severe asthma. The review also points out the serious gaps in knowledge regarding therapy for ACOS and presents emerging data supporting the intracellular respiratory pathogen Chlamydia pneumoniae as a possible common etiologic agent in severe asthma and ACOS.
2. GINA. Global Strategy for Asthma Management and Prevention, 2021. Available at: https://ginasthma.org/gina-reports/. (Accessed: September 13, 2021).
3. GOLD. 2021 Global Strategy for Prevention, Diagnosis and Management of COPD. 2021. Available at: https://goldcopd.org/2021-gold-reports/ (Accessed: August 9, 2021).
4. Kraft M. Asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease exhibit common origins in any country! Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2006;174(3):238–40. 10.1164/rccm.2604007
5. Orie NGM, Sluiter HJ, Vries KD, Tammeking GJ, Witkop J. The host factor in bronchitis. In: Orie NGM, Sluiter HJ, eds. Bronchitis: An International Symposium, 27–29 April 1960, University of Gronigen, the Netherlands. Assen, Netherlands; Springfield, Illinois: Royal Vangorcum; Charles C. Thomas; 1961:44–59.
6. Hahn DL. Beyond the Dutch hypothesis. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2006;174:1056–7. 10.1164/ajrccm.174.9.1056a
7. Simpson JL, Scott R, Boyle MJ, Gibson PG. Inflammatory subtypes in asthma: assessment and identification using induced sputum. Respirology. 2006;11(1):54–61. 10.1111/j.1440-1843.2006.00784.x
8. Hurd SS, Lenfant C. COPD: good lung health is the key. Lancet. 2005;366:1832–4. 10.1016/S0140-6736(05)67634-9
9. Ekerljung L, Mincheva R, Hagstad S, et al. Prevalence, clinical characteristics and morbidity of the Asthma-COPD overlap in a general population sample. J Asthma. 2017;55(5):461–469. 10.1080/02770903.2017.1339799
10. Lamprecht B, McBurnie MA, Vollmer WM, et al. COPD in never smokers: results from the population-based burden of obstructive lung disease study. Chest. 2011;139(4):752–63. 10.1378/chest.10-1253
11. Tai A, Tran H, Roberts M, Clarke N, Wilson J, Robertson CF. The association between childhood asthma and adult chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Thorax. 2014;69(9):805–810. 10.1136/thoraxjnl-2013-204815
12. GINA-GOLD-ACOS. Diagnosis of Diseases of Chronic Airflow Limitation: Asthma, COPD and Asthma-COPD Overlap Syndrome (ACOS) Updated 2015. Available at: https://ginasthma.org/archived-reports/. (Accessed: October 8, 2021).
13. Reddel HK, Bateman ED, Becker A, et al. A summary of the new GINA strategy: a roadmap to asthma control. Eur Respir J. 2015;46(3):622–39. 10.1183/13993003.00853-2015
14. Sherrill D, Guerra S, Bobadilla A, Barbee R. The role of concomitant respiratory diseases on the rate of decline in FEV1 among adult asthmatics. Eur Respir J. 2003;21:95–100. 10.1183/09031936.03.00017103
15. Hosseini M, Almasi-Hashiani A, Sepidarkish M, Maroufizadeh S. Global prevalence of asthma-COPD overlap (ACO) in the general population: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Respir Res. 2019;20(1):229. 10.1186/s12931-019-1198-4
16. de Marco R, Marcon A, Rossi A, et al. Asthma, COPD and overlap syndrome: a longitudinal study in young European adults. Eur Respir J. 2015;46(3):671–9. 10.1183/09031936.00008615
17. Silva GE, Sherrill DL, Guerra S, Barbee RA. Asthma as a risk factor for COPD in a longitudinal study. Chest. 2004;126:59–65. 10.1378/chest.126.1.59
18. Vonk JM, Jongepier H, Panhuysen CI, Schouten JP, Bleecker ER, Postma DS. Risk factors associated with the presence of irreversible airflow limitation and reduced transfer coefficient in patients with asthma after 26 years of follow up. Thorax. 2003;58(4):322–7. 10.1136/thorax.58.4.322
19. Bui DS, Lodge CJ, Burgess JA, et al. Childhood predictors of lung function trajectories and future COPD risk: a prospective cohort study from the first to the sixth decade of life. Lancet Respir Med. 2018;6(7):535–44. 10.1016/S2213-2600(18)30100-0
20. Burrows B. Epidemiologic evidence for different types of chronic airflow obstruction. Am Rev Respir Dis. 1991;143(6):1452–54. 10.1164/ajrccm/143.6.1452
21. Gibson PG, McDonald VM. Asthma-COPD overlap 2015: now we are six. Thorax. 2015;70(7):683–91. 10.1136/thoraxjnl-2014-206740
22. Hashimoto S, Sorimachi R, Jinnai T, Ichinose M. Asthma and Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Overlap According to the Japanese Respiratory Society Diagnostic Criteria: The Prospective, Observational ACO Japan Cohort Study. Adv Ther. 2021;38(2):1168–84. 10.1007/s12325-020-01573-x
23. Barrecheguren M, Roman-Rodriguez M, Miravitlles M. Is a previous diagnosis of asthma a reliable criterion for asthma-COPD overlap syndrome in a patient with COPD? Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis. 2015;10:1745–52. 10.2147/COPD.S87025
24. Anazawa R, Kawata N, Matsuura Y, et al. Longitudinal changes in structural lung abnormalities using MDCT in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease with asthma-like features. PLoS One. 2019;14(12):e0227141. 10.1371/journal.pone.0227141
25. Suzuki M, Makita H, Konno S, et al. Asthma-like Features and Clinical Course of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. An Analysis from the Hokkaido COPD Cohort Study. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2016;194(11):1358–65. 10.1164/rccm.201602-0353OC
26. Reddel HK, Vestbo J, Agusti A, et al. Heterogeneity within and between physician-diagnosed asthma and/or COPD: NOVELTY cohort. Eur Respir J. 2021;58(3):2003927. 10.1183/13993003.03927-2020
27. Hahn DL. Evaluation and management of acute bronchitis. In: Hueston WJ, ed. 20 Common Problems in Respiratory Disorders. New York: McGraw-Hill; 2002:141–53.
28. Herland K, Akselsen J-P, Skjønsberg OH, Bjermer L. How representative are clinical study patients with asthma or COPD for a larger “real life” population of patients with obstructive lung disease? Respir Med. 2005;99:11–9. 10.1016/j.rmed.2004.03.026
29. Travers J, Marsh S, Caldwell B, et al. External validity of randomised controlled trials in COPD. Respiratory Medicine. 2007;101:1313–20. 10.1016/j.rmed.2006.10.011
30. Travers J, Marsh S, Williams M, et al. External validity of randomised controlled trials in asthma: to whom do the results of the trials apply? Thorax. 2007;62:219–223. 10.1136/thx.2006.066837
31. Global Initiative for Asthma. Global Strategy for Asthma Management and Prevention. 2022. Available from: www.ginasthmaorg. (Accessed: March 8, 2022).
32. Ding B, Small M. Treatment trends in patients with asthma-COPD overlap syndrome in a COPD cohort: findings from a real-world survey. Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis. 2017; 12:1753–63. 10.2147/COPD.S136314
33. Bonten TN, Kasteleyn MJ, de Mutsert R, et al. Defining asthma-COPD overlap syndrome: a population-based study. Eur Respir J. 2017;49(5):1602008. 10.1183/13993003.02008-2016
34. Izbicki G, Teo V, Liang J, et al. Clinical Characteristics Of Patients With Asthma COPD Overlap (ACO) In Australian Primary Care. Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis. 2019;14:2745–52. 10.2147/COPD.S220346
35. Lange P, Colak Y, Ingebrigtsen TS, Vestbo J, Marott JL. Long-term prognosis of asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, and asthma-chronic obstructive pulmonary disease overlap in the Copenhagen City Heart study: a prospective population-based analysis. Lancet Respir Med. 2016;4(6):454–62. 10.1016/S2213-2600(16)00098-9
36. Jalasto J, Kauppi P, Luukkonen R, et al. Self-Reported Physician Diagnosed Asthma with COPD is Associated with Higher Mortality than Self-Reported Asthma or COPD Alone-A Prospective 24-Year Study in the Population of Helsinki, Finland. COPD. 2022;19(1):226–35. 10.1080/15412555.2022.2061935
37. Wagshul FA, Brown DT, Schultek NM, Hahn DL. Outcomes of Antibiotics in Adults with “Difficult to Treat” Asthma or the Overlap Syndrome. J Asthma Allergy. 2021;14:703–12. 10.2147/JAA.S313480
38. Smith D, Du Rand IA, Addy C, et al. British Thoracic Society guideline for the use of long-term macrolides in adults with respiratory disease. BMJ Open Respir Res. 2020;7(1):e000489. 10.1136/bmjresp-2019-000489
39. GINA. Difficult-to-Treat and Severe Asthma in Adolescent and Adult Patients: Diagnosis and Management 2019. Available at: https://ginasthma.org/severeasthma/ (Accessed: August 1, 2021).
40. Bone RC. Chlamydial pneumonia and asthma: a potentially important relationship. JAMA. 1991;266(2):265. 10.1001/jama.1991.03470020091039
41. Strachan DP. Time trends in asthma and allergy: ten questions, fewer answers. Clin Exp Allergy. 1995;25(9):791–4. 10.1111/j.1365-2222.1995.tb00019.x
42. Rivas M, Crother T, The microbiome in asthma. Curr Opin Pediatr. 2016;28(6):764–71. 10.1097/MOP.0000000000000419
43. Campbell LA, Hahn D. Chlamydia pneumoniae Infections. In: Tan M, Hegemann JH, Sutterlin C, eds. Chlamydia Biology: From Genome to Disease. Norfolk, UK: Caister Academic Press; 2020:31–58. 10.21775/9781912530281.02
44. Hahn DL, Peeling RW. Airflow limitation, asthma, and Chlamydia pneumoniae-specific heat shock protein 60. Annals of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. 2008;101(6):614–8. 10.1016/S1081-1206(10)60224-4
45. Hahn DL. Chlamydia pneumoniae and chronic asthma: Updated systematic review and meta-analysis of population attributable risk. PLoS One. 2021;16(4):e0250034. 10.1371/journal.pone.0250034
46. Pasternack R, Huhtala H, Karjalainen J. Chlamydophila (Chlamydia) pneumoniae serology and asthma in adults: A longitudinal analysis. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. 2005;116(5):1123–8. 10.1016/j.jaci.2005.08.030
47. Huittinen T, Hahn D, Wahlstrom E, Saikku P, Leinonen M. Host immune response to Chlamydia pneumoniae heat shock protein 60 is associated with asthma. Eur Resp J. 2001;17:1078–82. 10.1183/09031936.01.00089001
48. Hahn DL, Grasmick M, Hetzel S, Yale S. Azithromycin for bronchial asthma in adults: an effectiveness trial. J Am Board Fam Med. 2012;25(4):442–59. 10.3122/jabfm.2012.04.110309
49. Hahn D. When guideline treatment of asthma fails, consider a macrolide antibiotic. J Fam Pract. 2019;68(10):536–45.
50. Hahn DL. Treatment of Chlamydia pneumoniae infection in adult asthma: a before-after trial. J Fam Pract. 1995;41:345–51. 10.1007/978-88-470-2201-0_9
51. Albert RK, Connett J, Bailey WC, et al. Azithromycin for prevention of exacerbations of COPD. N Engl J Med. 2011; 365(8):689–98. 10.1056/NEJMoa1104623