Main Article Content
inflammatory and oxidative stress, Iinflammatory bowel disease (IBD), Morroniside, NLRP3
Objective: To investigate the effects of morroniside on inflammatory and oxidative stress in lipopolysaccharide (LPS)-induced inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) cell model.
Methods: NCM460 cells were treated with 2-, 5-, or 10-μg/mL LPS for 24 h to develop an IBD cell model. MTT (3-(4, 5-dimethylthiazolyl-2)-2, 5-diphenyltetrazolium bromide) colorimetric assay was performed to uncover the role of morroniside on the viability of LPS-treated NCM460 cells. Flow cytometry and immunoblot assays were performed to confirm the effects of morroniside on the apoptosis of LPS-treated NCM460 cells. Quantitative polymerase chain reaction and enzyme-linked-immunosorbent serologic assays were performed to confirm the effects of morroniside on inflammatory and oxidative stress by measuring the levels of tumor necrosis factor-α, interleukin-1β, IL-6, superoxide dismutase, malondialdehyde, total antioxidant capacity, and myeloperoxidase. In addition, immunoblot and immunofluorescence assays were performed to detect the effects of morroniside on NLRP3 and NF-κB pathways.
Results: Monosine attenuated LPS-induced injury of NCM460 cells. Monosine reduced LPS-induced inflammation in NCM460 cells. In addition, morroniside reduced LPS-induced oxidative stress in NCM460 cells. Mechanically, morroniside suppressed NLRP3 and NF-κB pathways, and alleviated LPS-induced inflammatory and oxidative stress in IBD.
Conclusion: Morroniside could serve as a promising drug for treating IBD.
2. Fu Z, Kmeid M, Arker SH, Lukose G, Lee EC, Lauwers GY, et al. Diversion colitis in inflammatory bowel disease (IBDs) is distinct from that in non-IBDs: Reappraisal of diversion colitis. Human Pathol. 2022;123:31–9. 10.1016/j.humpath.2022.02.011. Epub 2022 Feb 20.
3. Kroner PT, Picco MF, Cangemi JR, Hayney MS, Farraye FA, Caldera F. The burden of vaccine-preventable diseases in patients with inflammatory bowel disease. J Clin Gastroenterol. 2022. Online ahead of print. 10.1097/MCG.0000000000001635
4. Camilloni A, Nati G, Maggiolini P, Romanelli A, Latina R. Chronic non-cancer pain in primary care: An Italian cross--sectional study. Signa Vitae. 2021;7(2):54–62.
5. Zhang M, Bai X, Cao W, Ji J, Wang L, Yang Y, et al. The influence of corticosteroids, immunosuppressants and biologics on patients with inflammatory bowel diseases, psoriasis and rheumatic diseases in the era of COVID-19: A review of current evidence. Front Immunol. 2021;12:677957. 10.3389/fimmu.2021.677957
6. Li F, Song X, Xu J, Shi Y, Hu R, Ren Z, et al. Morroniside protects OLN-93 cells against H2O2-induced injury through the PI3K/Akt pathway-mediated antioxidative stress and antiapoptotic activities. Cell Cycle. 2021;20(7):661–75. 10.1080/15384101.2021.1889186
7. Lv G, Lv X, Tao Y, Xu H. Effect of morroniside on glomerular mesangial cells through AGE-RAGE pathway. Human Cell. 2016;29(4):148–54. 10.1007/s13577-015-0128-0
8. Gao J, Liu P, Shen Z, Xu K, Wu C, Tian F, et al. Morroniside promotes PGC-1 alpha-mediated cholesterol efflux in sodium palmitate or high glucose-induced mouse renal tubular epithelial cells. BioMed Res Int. 2021;2021:9942152. 10.1155/2021/9942152
9. Sun FL, Wang W, Cheng H, Wang Y, Li L, Xue JL, et al. Morroniside improves microvascular functional integrity of the neurovascular unit after cerebral ischemia. PloS One. 2014;9(6): e101194. 10.1371/journal.pone.0101194
10. Wang S, Zhang J, Wang Y, Jiang X, Guo M, Yang Z. NLRP3 inflammasome as a novel therapeutic target for heart failure. Anatol J Cardiol. 2022;26(1):15–22. 10.5152/AnatolJCardiol.2021.580
11. Yang J, Yang J, Huang X, Xiu H, Bai S, Li J, et al. Glibenclamide alleviates LPS-induced acute lung injury through NLRP3 inflammasome signaling pathway. Mediators Inflamm. 2022; 2022:8457010. 10.1155/2022/8457010
12. Jiao Y, Nan J, Mu B, Zhang Y, Zhou N, Yang S, et al. Discovery of a novel and potent inhibitor with differential species--specific effects against NLRP3 and AIM2 inflammasome--dependent pyroptosis. Eur J Med Chem. 2022;232:114194. 10.1016/j.ejmech.2022.114194
13. Zhang D, Ma X, Wu H, Hong J, Zhang C, Wu L, et al. Efficacy of herb-partitioned moxibustion at Qihai (CV 6) and bilateral Tianshu (ST 25) on colonic damage and the TLR4/NF-I masculine B signaling pathway in rats with Crohn’s disease. J Trad Chin Med (Chung i Tsa Chih Ying Wen Pan). 2018;38(2):218–26. 10.1016/j.jtcm.2018.04.004
14. Chang Y, Kim JW, Yang S, Chung DH, Ko JS, Moon JS, et al. Increased GM-CSF-producing NCR(-) ILC3s and neutrophils in the intestinal mucosa exacerbate inflammatory bowel disease. Clin Transl Immunol. 2021;10(7):e1311. 10.1002/cti2.1311
15. Zhang L, Wang H, Liu Y, Wang L, Pan W, Yuan B. Morroniside protects HT-22 cells against oxygen-glucose deprivation/reperfusion through activating the Nrf2/HO-1 signaling pathway. J Recep Signal Transduct Res. 2022;42(1):9–15. 10.1080/10799893.2020.1837872
16. Duan FX, Shi YJ, Chen J, Song X, Shen L, Qi Q, et al. The neuroprotective role of morroniside against spinal cord injury in female rats. Neurochem Int. 2021;148:105105. 10.1016/j.neuint.2021.105105
17. Yu H, Yao S, Zhou C, Fu F, Luo H, Du W, et al. Morroniside attenuates apoptosis and pyroptosis of chondrocytes and ameliorates osteoarthritic development by inhibiting NF-kappa B signaling. J Ethnopharmacol. 2021;266:113447. 10.1016/j.jep.2020.113447
18. Park C, Cha HJ, Lee H, Kim GY, Choi YH. The regulation of the TLR4/NF-kappa B and Nrf2/HO-1 signaling pathways is involved in the inhibition of lipopolysaccharide-induced inflammation and oxidative reactions by morroniside in RAW 264.7 macrophages.Arch Biochem Biophy. 2021;706:108926. 10.1016/j.abb.2021.108926
19. Xi L, Wang C, Chen P, Yang Q, Hu R, Zhang H, et al. Expressions of IL-6, TNF-alpha and NF-kappa B in the skin of Chinese brown frog (Rana dybowskii). Eur J Histochem (EJH). 2017;61(4):2834. 10.4081/ejh.2017.2834
20. Sanchez-Rubio M, Taboada-Rodriguez A, Cava-Roda R, -Lopez-Molina D, Marin-Iniesta F. Combined use of thermo-ultrasound and cinnamon leaf essential oil to inactivate Saccharomyces cerevisiae in culture broth and natural orange juice. J Food Sci Technol. 2018;55(11):4623–33. 10.1007/s13197-018-3401-x