Main Article Content
LPS, Nrf2, oxidative stress, pediatric pneumonia, 6'-o-galloylpaeoniflorin (GPF)
Objective: To assess the therapeutic effect and mechanism of 6'-o-galloylpaeoniflorin (GPF) in pediatric pneumonia.
Methods: The effects of lipopolysaccharide (LPS) and GPF on cell viability and apoptosis were examined by cell counting kit-8 assay and flow cytometry analysis. The oxidative stress and inflammatory response were assessed by detecting expression levels of superoxide dismutase, glutathione, r-glutamyl cysteingl+glycine, myeloperoxidase, and malondialdehyde as well as tumor necrosis factor-α, Interleukin-18, and Interleukin-10 by using enzyme-linked-immunosorbent serologic assay. Moreover, the activation of nuclear factor erythroid 2-related factor 2 (Nrf2) pathway was detected by immunoblot assay, and the influence of Nrf2-knockdown on cell viability, oxidative stress, and inflammation response was also investigated.
Results: The results established that GPF increased the viability of LPS-induced pneumonia cells. In addition, GPF reduced LPS-induced oxidative stress in pneumonia cells. It was further discovered that GPF reduced LPS-induced inflammation in pneumonic cell. GPF improved the activity of Nrf2 in LPS-treated pneumonic cells, and therefore alleviated inflammation and oxidative stress in pediatric pneumonia.
Conclusion: GPF could serve as a promising drug for treating pediatric pneumonia.
2. Ayan E, Karabulut B, Unver HM. Diagnosis of pediatric pneumonia with ensemble of deep convolutional neural networks in chest x-ray images. Arab J Sci Eng. 2022;47:2123–139. 10.1007/s13369-021-06127-z
3. Camilloni A, Nati G, Maggiolini P, Romanelli A, Latina R. Chronic non-cancer pain in primary care: An Italian cross-sectional study. Signa Vitae. 2021;7:54–62.
4. Wang S, Lu B, Liu J, Gu Y. TRIM27 suppresses inflammation injuries in pediatric pneumonia by targeting TLR4/NF-kappa B signaling pathway. Allergol Immunopathol. 2022;50:33–9. 10.15586/aei.v50i2.558
5. Gravel CA, Neuman MI, Monuteaux MC, Neal JT, Miller AF, Bachur RG. Significance of sonographic subcentimeter, subpleural consolidations in pediatric patients evaluated for pneumonia. J Pediatr. 2021; 10.1016/j.jpeds.2021.12.052
6. Tarentino AL, Maley F. A comparison of the substrate specificities of endo-beta-N-acetylglucosaminidases from streptomyces griseus and diplococcus pneumoniae. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1975;67:455–62. 10.1016/0006-291X(75)90337-X
7. Keshvari M, Rahmati M, Mirnasouri R, Chehelcheraghi F. Effects of endurance exercise and Urtica dioica on the functional, histological and molecular aspects of the hippocampus in STZ-Induced diabetic rats. J Ethnopharmacol. 2020;256:112801. 10.1016/j.jep.2020.112801
8. Liu W, Xie G, Yuan G, Xie D, Lian Z, Lin Z, et al. 6'-O-galloylpaeoniflorin attenuates osteoclasto-genesis and relieves ovariectomy-induced osteoporosis by inhibiting reactive oxygen species and MAPKs/c-Fos/NFATc1 signaling pathway. Front Pharmacol. 2021;12:641277. 10.3389/fphar.2021.641277
9. Gao J, Song L, Xia H, Peng L, Wen Z. 6'-O-galloylpaeoniflorin regulates proliferation and metastasis of non-small cell lung cancer through AMPK/miR-299-5p/ATF2 axis. Respir Res. 2020;21:39. 10.1186/s12931-020-1277-6
10. Geanacopoulos AT, Lipsett SC, Hirsch AW, Monuteaux MC, Neuman MI. Impact of viral radiographic features on antibiotic treatment for pediatric pneumonia. J Pediat Inf Dis Soc. 2022. 10.1093/jpids/piab132
11. Esposito S, Argentiero A, Rebecchi F, Fainardi V, Pisi G, Principi N. The remaining unsolved problems for rational antibiotic therapy use in pediatric community-acquired pneumonia. Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2022;23:497–505. 10.1080/14656566.2022.2028773
12. El-Mekkawy MS, Soliman SE, Saleh NY. Soluble urokinase plasminogen activator receptor: A novel biomarker of pediatric community-acquired and hospitalacquired pneumonia. Turkish J Pediatr. 2022;64:98–109. 10.24953/turkjped.2021.4321
13. Pu Z, Shen C, Zhang W, Xie H, Wang W. Avenanthramide C from oats protects pyroptosis through dependent ROS-induced mitochondrial damage by PI3K ubiquitination and phosphorylation in pediatric pneumonia. J Agricul Food Chem. 2022;70:2339–53. 10.1021/acs.jafc.1c06223
14. Thummuri D, Guntuku L, Challa VS, Ramavat RN, Naidu VGM. Abietic acid attenuates RANKL-induced osteoclastogenesis and inflammation associated osteolysis by inhibiting the NF-KB and MAPK signaling. J Cell Physiol. 2018;234:443–53. 10.1002/jcp.26575
15. Peng Q, Zhao B, Lin J, Liu H, Zhou R, Lan D, et al. SPRC-suppresses experimental periodontitis by modulating Th17/-Treg imbalance. Front Bioengin Biotechnol. 2021;9: 737334.
16. Yin S, Ding M, Fan L, Yu X, Liang Z, Wu L, et al. Inhibition of inflammation and regulation of AQPs/ENaCs/Na(+)-K(+)-ATPase mediated alveolar fluid transport by total flavonoids extracted from nervilia fordii in lipopolysaccharide-induced acute lung injury. Front Pharmacol. 2021;12:603863. 10.3389/fphar.2021.603863
17. Xuan TQ, Gong G, Du H, Liu C, Wu Y, Bao G, et al. Protective effect of pteryxin on LPS-induced acute lung injury via modulating MAPK/NF-kappaB pathway and NLRP3 inflammasome activation. J Ethnopharmacol. 2022;286:114924.
18. Nelin LD, Jin Y, Chen B, Liu Y, Rogers LK, Reese J. Cyclooxygenase-2 deficiency attenuates lipopolysaccharide-induced inflammation, apoptosis and acute lung injury in adult mice. Am J Physiol Regul integr Comp Physiol. 2022. 10.1152/ajpregu.00140.2021
19. Yao CW, Piao MJ, Kim KC, Zheng J, Cha JW, Hyun CL, et al. Cytoprotective effects of 6'-O-galloylpaeoniflorin against ultraviolet B radiation-induced cell damage in human keratinocytes. In vitro Cell Dev Biol Anim. 2014;50:664–74. 10.1007/s11626-014-9747-0
20. Yao CW, Piao MJ, Kim KC, Zheng J, Cha JW, Hyun JW. 6'-O-galloylpaeoniflorin protects human keratinocytes against oxidative stress-induced cell damage. Biomol Ther. 2013;21,349–57. 10.4062/biomolther.2013.064
21. Wen Z, Hou W, Wu W, Zhao Y, Dong X, Bai X, et al. 6'-O-galloylpaeoniflorin attenuates cerebral ischemia reperfusion--induced neuroinflammation and oxidative stress via PI3K/Akt/Nrf2 activation. Oxid Med Cell Longev. 2018;2018:8678267. 10.1155/2018/8678267
22. Jin X, Gao X, Lan M, Li CN, Sun JM, Zhang H. Study the mechanism of peimisine derivatives on NF-kappaB inflammation pathway on mice with acute lung injury induced by lipopolysaccharide. Chem Biol Drug Design. 2021. 10.1111/cbdd.14013
23. Zhang L, Zhu XZ, Badamjav R, Zhang JZ, Kou JP, Yu BY, et al. Isoorientin protects lipopolysaccharide-induced acute lung injury in mice via modulating Keap1/Nrf2-HO-1 and NLRP3 inflammasome pathways. Eur J Pharmacol. 2022;917:174748. 10.1016/j.ejphar.2022.174748
24. Yu YY, Li XQ, Hu WP, Cu SC, Dai JJ, Gao YN, et al. Self-developed NF-kappaB inhibitor 270 protects against LPS-induced acute kidney injury and lung injury through improving inflammation. Biomed Pharmacother Biomed Pharmacother. 2022;147:112615.
25. Yoon HS, Park CM. Chrysoeriol ameliorates COX-2 expression through NF-kappaB, AP-1 and MAPK regulation via the TLR4/MyD88 signaling pathway in LPS-stimulated murine macrophages. Exp Ther Med. 2021;22:718. 10.3892/etm.2021.10150
26. Choi DY, Lee JY, Kim MR, Woo ER, Kim YG, Kang KW. Chrysoeriol potently inhibits the induction of nitric oxide synthase by blocking AP-1 activation. J Biomed Sci. 2005;12:949–59. 10.1007/s11373-005-9028-8