Food allergy in adolescents: validation of the food allergy independent measure and the EuroPrevall food allergy quality of life questionnaire into Spanish
Main Article Content
Adolescents, Food allergy, Quality of life, Questionnaire, Spanish, Teenagers, Validation
Background: Different questionnaires have been developed globally to assess and compare the impact of food allergy on the quality of life. The aim of this study was to validate a Spanish translation of the Food Allergy Independent Measure (FAIM) and the EuroPrevall Food Allergy–Quality of Life Questionnaire–Teenage Form (FAQLQ-TF) for adolescents aged 13–17 years.
Methods: Sixty adolescents diagnosed with immunoglobulin E-mediated allergy to food completed the questionnaires. Cronbach’s alpha was used to assess internal consistency; correlation between FAQLQ-TF and FAIM was used to test construct validity. The discriminant validity was evaluated by comparison with the number of offending foods, the perceived impact on social life, the diagnosis of anaphylaxis, and the previous prescription of adrenaline auto--injectors (AAI).
Results: No question fulfilled criteria to be removed from the questionnaire. For FAIM, Cronbach’s alpha = 0.763, and for the four domains of FAQLQ-TF, Cronbach’s alpha = 0.797–0.847. A significant correlation existed between FAQLQ-TF and FAIM, and of both of them with anaphylaxis and the prescription of AAI (P ˂ 0.05 for all comparisons).
Conclusions: This Spanish translation of FAIM and FAQLQ-TF for adolescents had good internal consistency and construct validity as well as ability to discriminate patients according to the number of foods to avoid, impact on social life, diagnosis of anaphylaxis, and AAI prescription.
2. Kansen HM, Le TM, Meijer Y, Flokstra-de Blok BMJ, Welsing PMJ, van der Ent CK, et al. The impact of oral food challenges for food allergy on quality of life: A systematic review. Pediatr Allergy Immunol. 2018;29(5):527–37. 10.1111/pai.12905
3. Cao S, Borro M, Alonzi S, Sindher S, Nadeau K, Chinthrajah RS. Improvement in health-related quality of life in food-allergic patients: A meta-analysis. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract. 2021 Oct;9(10):3705–14. 10.1016/j.jaip.2021.05.020
4. De Blok BM, Vlieg-Boerstra BJ, Oude Elberink JN, Duiverman EJ, DunnGalvin A, Hourihane JO, et al. A framework for measuring the social impact of food allergy across Europe: A EuroPrevall state of the art paper. Allergy. 2007 Jul;62(7):733–7. 10.1111/j.1398-9995.2006.01303.x
5. Flokstra-de Blok BM, DunnGalvin A, Vlieg-Boerstra BJ, Oude Elberink JN, Duiverman EJ, Hourihane JO, et al. Development and validation of a self-administered Food Allergy Quality of Life Questionnaire for children. Clin Exp Allergy. 2009 Jan;39(1): 127–37. 10.1111/j.1365-2222.2008.03120.x
6. Flokstra-de Blok BM, DunnGalvin A, Vlieg-Boerstra BJ, Oude Elberink JN, Duiverman EJ, Hourihane JO, et al. Development and validation of the self-administered Food Allergy Quality of Life Questionnaire for adolescents. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2008 Jul;122(1):139–44, 144.e1-2. 10.1016/j.jaci.2008.05.008
7. DunnGalvin A, de BlokFlokstra BM, Burks AW, Dubois AE, Hourihane JO. Food allergy QoL questionnaire for children aged 0–12 years: Content, construct, and cross-cultural validity. Clin Exp Allergy. 2008 Jun;38(6):977–86. 10.1111/j.1365-2222.2008.02978.x
8. Jang DT, Sabido MP, Buendía E, Ibáñez L, Nieto M, Bartoll E, et al. Validation of the food allergy independent measure and the EuroPrevall food allergy quality of life questionnaire for children 8–12 years translated into Spanish. Allergol Immunopathol (Madr). 2022 Jan 1;50(1):51–9. 10.15586/aei.v50i1.467
9. van der Velde JL, Flokstra-de Blok BM, Vlieg-Boerstra BJ, Oude Elberink JN, DunnGalvin A, Hourihane JO, et al. Development, validity and reliability of the food allergy independent measure (FAIM). Allergy. 2010 May;65(5):630–5. 10.1111/j.1398-9995.2009.02216.x
10. Gliem JA., Gliem RR. Calculating, interpreting, and reporting Cronbach’s alpha reliability coefficient for Likert-type scales. 2003 Midwest Research to Practice Conference in Adult, Continuing, and Community Education, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH [Internet]. [cited 2003]. Available from: https://scholarworks.iupui.edu/bitstream/handle/1805/344/Gliem+&+Gliem.pdf?sequence=1 Accessed March 10, 2022.
11. Terwee CB, Bot SD, de Boer MR, van der Windt DA, Knol DL, Dekker J, et al. Quality criteria were proposed for measurement properties of health status questionnaires. J Clin Epidemiol. 2007 Jan;60(1):34–42. 10.1016/j.jclinepi.2006.03.012
12. Bartoll E, Nieto M, Selva B, Badillo R, Pereira G, Uixera S, et al. Validation of a Spanish version of the EuroPrevall Food Allergy Quality of Life Questionnaire--Parental Form. Allergol Immunopathol (Madr). 2018 Jan–Feb;46(1):82–6. 10.1016/j.aller.2017.06.004
13. Manso L, Pineda R, Huertas B, Fernández-Rivas M, Diéguez MC, Cerecedo I, et al. Validation of the Spanish version of the Food Allergy Quality of Life Questionnaire--Parent Form (S-FAQLQ-PF). J Investig Allergol Clin Immunol. 2017;27(6):363–9. 10.18176/jiaci.0182
14. Resnick ES, Pieretti MM, Maloney J, Noone S, Muñoz-Furlong A, Sicherer SH. Development of a questionnaire to measure quality of life in adolescents with food allergy: The FAQL-teen. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2010 Nov;105(5):364–8. 10.1016/j.anai.2010.09.006
15. McWilliam VL, Koplin JJ, Field MJ, Sasaki M, Dharmage SC, Tang MLK, et al. SchoolNuts investigators. Self-reported adverse food reactions and anaphylaxis in the SchoolNuts study: A population-based study of adolescents. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2018 Mar 141(3):982–90. 10.1016/j.jaci.2017.09.012
16. Tavakol M, Dennick R. Making sense of Cronbach’s alpha. Int J Med Educ. 2011;2:53–5. 10.5116/ijme.4dfb.8dfd
17. Salvilla SA, Dubois AE, Flokstra-de Blok BM, Panesar SS, Worth A, Patel S, et al. Disease-specific health-related quality of life instruments for IgE-mediated food allergy. Allergy. 2014 Jul;69(7):834–44. 10.1111/all.12427.
18. Flokstra-de Blok BM, Dubois AE, Vlieg-Boerstra BJ, Oude Elberink JN, Raat H, DunnGalvin A, et al. Health-related quality of life of food allergic patients: Comparison with the general population and other diseases. Allergy. 2010 Feb;65(2):238–44. 10.1111/all.12427
19. Mizuno Y, Ohya Y, Nagao M, DunnGalvin A, Fujisawa T. Validation and reliability of the Japanese version of the Food Allergy Quality of Life Questionnaire-Parent Form. Allergol Int. 2017 Apr;66(2):290–5. 10.1016/j.alit.2016.06.013
20. Van Der Velde JL, Flokstra-De Blok BMJ, Vlieg-Boerstra BJ, Oude Elberink JNG, Schouten JP, Dunngalvin A, et al. Test-retest reliability of the Food Allergy Quality of Life Questionnaires (FAQLQ) for children, adolescents and adults. Qual Life Res. 2009;18(2):245–51. 10.1007/s11136-008-9434-2