Main Article Content
children, COVID-19, food allergy, oral immunotherapy.
Food allergy immunotherapy is a promising allergen-specific approach to manage food allergy in children, although it is not exempt from adverse events, even severe. The adverse events are not predictable and furthermore co-factors can play a role in triggering them. During the COVID- 19 pandemic, patients on food allergy immunotherapy should be provided with suggestions on how to proceed in the event of COVID-19 infection occurring or is suspected. These recommendations would be of support to clinical practitioners dealing with patients on food allergy immunotherapy since there is little data in the literature on the topic.
2. Casale TB, Wang J, Nowak-Wegrzyn A. Acute at home man-agement of anaphylaxis during the Covid-19 pandemic. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract. 2020;8(6):1795–7. https://doi. org/10.1016/j.jaip.2020.04.022
3. Klimek L, Jutel M, Akdis C, Bousquet J, Akdis M, Bachert C, et al. Handling of allergen immunotherapy in the COVID-19 pandemic: An ARIA-EAACI statement. Allergy. 2020;75(7):1546–54. https://doi.org/10.1111/all.14336
4. Gernez Y, Nowak-Węgrzyn A. Immunotherapy for food allergy: Are we there yet? J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract. 2017;5:250–72. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaip.2016.12.004
5. Pajno GB, Castagnoli R, Muraro A, Alvaro-Lozano M, Akdis CA, Akdis M, et al. Allergen immunotherapy for IgE-mediated food allergy: There is a measure in everything to a proper proportion of therapy. Pediatr Allergy Immunol. 2019;30:415–22. https://doi.org/10.1111/pai.13042
6. Pajno GB, Fernandez-Rivas M, Arasi S, Roberts G, Akdis CA, Alvaro-Lozano M, et al. EAACI guidelines on allergen immunotherapy: IgE-mediated food allergy. Allergy. 2018;73:799–815. https://doi.org/10.1111/all.13319
7. Nurmatov U, Devereux G, Worth A, Healy L, Sheikh A. Effectiveness and safety of orally administered immunotherapy for food allergies: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Br J Nutr. 2014;111:12–22. https://doi.org/10.1017/ S0007114513002353
8. Brozek JL, Terracciano L, Hsu J, Kreis J, Compalati E, Santesso N, et al. Oral immunotherapy for IgE-mediated cow’s milk allergy: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Clin Exp Allergy 2012;42:363–74. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2222.2011.03948.x
9. Anagnostou K. Food immunotherapy for children with food allergies: State of the art and science. Curr Opin Pediatr. 2018;30:798–805. https://doi.org/10.1097/MOP.000000000000 0684
10. Brough HA, Kalayci O, Sediva A, et al. Managing childhood allergies and immunodeficiencies during respiratory virus epidemics – The 2020 COVID-19 pandemic. Pediatr Allergy Immunol. 2020;31(5):442–8. https://doi.org/10.1111/pai.13262
11. COVID-19: GINA answers to frequently asked questions on asthma management. Global Initiative for Asthma (GINA); 2020. https://ginasthma.org/covid-19-gina-answers-to - fre-quently- asked-questions-on-asthma-management/ (accessed 11 Apr 2020).
12. BTS advice for healthcare professionals treating patients with asthma. https://www.britthoracic.org.uk/document-library/ quality-improvement/covid-19/bts-advice- for healthcare-professionals-treating-patients-with-asthma/ (accessed 5 Apr 2020).
13. Taylor SL, Baumert JL. Worldwide food allergy labeling and detection of allergens in processed foods. Chem Immunol Allergy. 2015;101:227–34. https://doi.org/10.1159/000373910
14. Riggioni C, Comberiati P, Giovannini M, Agache I, Akdis M, Alves-Correia M, et al. A compendium answering 150 questions on COVID-19 and SARS-CoV-2. Allergy. 2020;75(10):2503– 41. https://doi.org/10.1111/all.14449