Main Article Content
Eosinophilic esophagitis, oesophagoscopy, eosinophil, disfagia, choking
Introduction: Eosinophilic esophagitis (EoE) is a chronic esophageal atopic disease because sensitization to aeroallergens and foods allergens is very common.
Objectives: This study is the first work that studies multiple characteristics of EoE in the southeast of Spain to know whether EoE in the patients of this region is similar to that of other regions of Spain in terms of demography, symptoms, and atopic characteristics.
Method: It is an observational prospective study of patients diagnosed with EoE at Granada (Spain). We recorded demographic data (age, sex, and personal history of atopy), clinical data (impaction and dysphagia), allergologic data (prick test and specific immunoglobulin E) to foods, aeroallergen, and pan-allergens, and other endoscopic–histologic data and
Results: The demographic, allergologic, and endoscopic characteristics of patients with EoE in Granada were similar to the rest of Spain, except the higher frequency of sensitization to olive pollen, food allergy, and anaphylaxis reactions.
Conclusions: The higher frequency of sensitization to olive pollen and food allergy with severe clinical manifestations (anaphylaxis) in patients with EoE in Granada could have a negative impact on patients’ quality of life.
2. Lucendo AJ, Molina-Infante J, Arias Á, Von Arnim U, Bredenoord AJ, Bussmann C, et al. Guidelines on eosinophilic esophagitis: Evidence-based statements and recommendations for diagnosis and management in children and adults. United Eur Gastroenterol J 2017;5(3):335–58. https://doi.org/10.1177/2050640616689525
3. Watts MM, Saltoun C, Greenberger PA. Eosinophilic esophagitis. Allergy Asthma Proc 2019;40(6):462–4. https://doi.org/10.2500/aap.2019.40.4272
4. He YT, Christos PJ, Reisacher WR. Airborne and food sensitization patterns in children and adults with eosinophilic esophagitis. Int Forum Allergy Rhinol 2018;8(5):571–6. https://doi.org/10.1002/alr.22095
5. Reed CC, Dellon ES. Eosinophilic esophagitis. Med Clin North Am 2019;103(1):29–42. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mcna.2018.08.009
6. Molina-Infante J, Martin-Noguerol E, Alvarado-Arenas M, Porcel-Carreño SL, Jimenez-Timon S, Hernandez-Arbeiza FJ. Selective elimination diet based on skin testing has suboptimal efficacy for adult eosinophilic esophagitis. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2012;130(5):1200–2. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaci.2012.06.027
7. Castro Jiménez A, Gómez Torrijos E, García Rodríguez R, FeoBrito F, BorjaSegade J, Galindo Bonilla PA, et al. Demographic, clinical and allergological characteristics of Eosinophilic Esophagitis in a Spanish central region. Allergol Immunopathol (Madr) 2014;42(5):407–14. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aller.2013.04.004
8. Gómez Torrijos E, Rodriguez Sanchez J, Castro Jimenez A, Garcia Rodriguez R, Feo-Brito F, Molina-Infante J. Proton pump inhibitor-responsive oesophageal eosinophilia (PPI- REE): Characteristics of a Spanish population in central Spain. Clin Exp Allergy 2015;45(8):1367–9. https://doi.org/10.1111/cea.12581
9. Gómez Torrijos E, Sánchez Miranda P, Donado Palencia P, Castro Jimenez A, Rodriguez Sánchez J, Mendez Díaz Y, et al. Eosinophilic Esophagitis: Demographic, clinical, endoscopic, histologic, and atopic characteristics of children and teenagers in a region in central Spain. J Investig Allergol Clin Immunol 2017;27(2):104–10. https://doi.org/10.18176/jiaci.0112
10. Ojeda P, Ibáñez MD, Olaguibel JM, Sastre J, Chivato T. Alergológica 2015: A national survey on allergic diseases in the Spanish pediatric population. J Investig Allergol Clin Immunol 2018;28(5):321–9. https://doi.org/10.18176/jiaci.0308