Main Article Content
Asthma, Physical Fitness Test Battery, Anaerobic Capacity, Tri-Axial Accelerometer
Introduction and objective: Asthma, is the most common chronic inflammatory disease in childhood period. It can affect the daily life to an advanced level and may become vital. The purpose of this study is to compare physical fitness and anaerobic capacity in asthmatic children (AC) and non-asthmatic children (NC).
Materials and methods: A total of 47 children participated in the study; 25 individuals with mild to moderate asthma and 22 healthy children were assessed. The assessed variables consist pulmonary function and peripheral muscle strength (PMS). Additionally, physical fitness was evaluated by using fitnessgram test battery, which includes body composition, modi-fied shuttle walk test (MSWT), curl-up test, push-up test, and sit and reach test variables. Anaerobic capacity was measured with wingate anaerobic capacity test (WAnT) and count-er-movement jump (CMJ) using a triaxial accelerometer.
Results: FEV1/FVC ratio (p < 0.01), MSWT (p = 0.001), push-up test (p < 0.01), and WAnT peak power (p < 0.05) were measured significantly to be found reduced in AC compared with that of NC. Between the two groups, PMS, curl-up test, sit and reach test, and CMJ were not significantly different (p > 0.05). High to moderate positive correlation was found among WAnT, CMJ parameters and FEV1, fat-free body mass (FFM), dominant handgrip, and quadriceps strengths (p < 0.05).
Conclusions: Physical fitness level and anaerobic capacity were lower in AC compared with that of NC. Physical fitness parameters and anaerobic exercise capacity should be evaluated on the physiotherapy and rehabilitation program in AC.
2. Lang JE, Bunnell HT, Lima JJ, Hossain J, Wysocki T, Bacharier L, et al. Effects of age, sex, race/ethnicity, and allergy status in obesity-related pediatric asthma. Pediatr Pulmonol. 2019;54:1684–93. https://doi.org/10.1002/ppul.24470
3. Ahmadizar F, Vijverberg SJH, Arets HGM, de Boer A, Lang JE, Kattan M, et al. Childhood obesity in relation to poor asthma control and exacerbation: A meta-analysis. Eur Respir J. 2016 Oct 1;48(4):1063 LP–73. https://doi.org/10.1183/13993003.00766-2016
4. Basaran S, Guler-Uysal F, Ergen N, Seydaoglu G, Bingol-Karakoc G, Ufuk Altintas D. Effects of physical exercise on quality of life, exercise capacity and pulmonary function in children with asthma. J Rehabil Med. 2006 Mar;38(2):130–5. https://doi.org/10.1080/16501970500476142
5. Furtado PR, Maciel ÁCC, Barbosa RRT, Silva AAM da, Freitas DA de, Mendonça KMPP de. Association between quality of life, severity of asthma, sleep disorders and exercise capacity in children with asthma: A cross-sectional study. Brazilian J Phys Ther. 2019;23(1):12–8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bjpt.2018.08.010.
6. Lunardi AC, da Silva CCBM, Mendes FAR, Marques AP, Stelmach R, Carvalho CRF. Musculoskeletal dysfunction and pain in adults with asthma. J Asthma. 2011;48(1):105–10. https://doi.org/10.3109/02770903.2010.520229
7. Villa F, Castro APBM, Pastorino AC, Santarém JM, Martins MA, Jacob CMA, et al. Aerobic capacity and skeletal muscle function in children with asthma. Arch Dis Child. 2011;96(6):554–9. https://doi.org/10.1136/adc.2011.212431
8. Ramos E, de Oliveira LVF, Silva AB, Costa IP, Corrêa JCF, Costa D, et al. Peripheral muscle strength and functional capacity in patients with moderate to severe asthma. Multidiscip Respir Med. 2015;10(1):3. https://doi. org/10.1186/2049-6958-10-3
9. Caspersen CJ, Powell KE, Christenson GM. Physical activity, exercise, and physical fitness: Definitions and distinctions for health-related research. Public Health Rep. 1985;100(2):126.
10. Welsh L, Roberts GDR, Kemp JG, Fitness and physical activity in children with asthma. Sports Med. 2004:34(13):861–70. https://doi.org/10.2165/00007256-200434130-00001
11. Weston AR, MacFarlane DJ, Hopkins WG. Physical activity of asthmatic and non-asthmatic children. J Asthma. 1989;26(5):279–86.
12. Kowalski KC, Crocker PRE, Faulkner RA. Validation of the physical activity questionnaire for older children. Pediatr Exerc Sci. 1997;9:174–86.
13. Counil F-P, Varray A, Karila C, Hayot M, Voisin M, Prefaut C. Wingate test performance in children with asthma: Aerobic or anaerobic limitation? Med Sci Sports Exerc. 1997;29(4):430–5. https://doi.org/10.1097/00005768-199704000-00002
14. Vandewalle H, Péerès G, Monod H. Standard anaerobic exercise tests. Sport Med. 1987;4(4):268–89. https://doi.org/10.2165/00007256-198704040-00004
15. Ayalon A, Inbar O, Bar-Or O. Relationships among measurements of explosive strength and anaerobic power. In: Nelson RC, Morehouse CA, editors. International series on sport sciences. Vol. 1. Biomechanics IV. Baltimore, MD: University Park Press, 1974: 572–7.
16. Préfaut C, Varray A, Vallet G. Pathophysiological basis of exercise training in patients with chronic obstructive lung disease. Eur Respir Rev. 1995;5:27–32.
17. Bar-Or O. The wingate anaerobic test an update on methodology, reliability and validity. Sport Med. 1987;4(6):381–94. https://doi.org/10.2165/00007256-198704060-00001
18. Pau M, Mandaresu S, Leban B, Nussbaum MA. Short-term effects of backpack carriage on plantar pressure and gait in schoolchildren. J Electromyogr Kinesiol. 2015;25(2):406–12. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jelekin.2014.11.006
19. Latorre-Román PÁ, Navarro-Martínez AV, Mañas-Bastidas A, García-Pinillos F. Handgrip strength test as a complementary tool in monitoring asthma in daily clinical practice in children. Iran J Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2014 Jan 1;13:404–11.
20. Grippi MA, Elias JA, Fishman JA, Kotloff RM, Pack AI, Senior RM. Pulmonary mechanics. Fishmans Pulm Dis Disord. 1998;1:149–62.
21. Saritas N, Ozkarafaki I, Pepe O, Buyukipekci S. Evaluatıon of body fat percentage of male university students according to three different method. Sağlık Bilim Der. 2011;20(2):107–15.
22. Singh SJ, Morgan MD, Scott S, Walters D, Hardman AE. Development of a shuttle walking test of disability in patients with chronic airways obstruction. Thorax. 1992 Dec 1;47(12):1019–24. https://doi.org/10.1136/thx.47.12.1019
23. Simsek S, Inal-Ince D, Cakmak A, Emiralioglu N, Calik-Kutukcu E, Saglam M, et al. Reduced anaerobic and aerobic performance in children with primary ciliary dyskinesia. Eur J Pediatr. 2018 May;177(5):765–73. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00431-018-3121-2
24. Leggin BG, Neuman RM, Iannotti JP, Williams GR, Thompson EC. Intrarater and interrater reliability of three isometric dynamometers in assessing shoulder strength. J Shoulder Elb Surg. 1996;5(1):18–24. https://doi.org/10.1016/ S1058-2746(96)80026-7
25. Shechtman O, Gestewitz L, Kimble C. Reliability and validity of the DynEx dynamometer. J Hand Ther. 2004 Oct 1;17(4):438. https://doi.org/10.1197/j.jht.2005.04.002
26. Theodorou A, Paradisis G, Panoutsakopoulos V, Smpokos-Sbokos E, Skordilis E, Cooke C. Performance indices selection tor assessing anaerobic power during a 30 second vertical jump test. J Sports Med Phys Fitness. 2013;53:596–603.
27. Verran JA. Munro BH, Visintainer MA, Page EB. Statistical methods for health care research. Philadelphia: Lippincott, 1986: 381 pp. Res Nurs Health. 1987;10(6):406–8.
28. Boulet LP. Asthma and obesity. Clin Exp Allergy. 2013;43(1):8– 21. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2222.2012.04040.x
29. Ergin E, Savci S, Kahraman BO, Tanriverdi A, Ozsoy I, Atakul G, et al. Three-axis accelerometer system for comparison of gait parameters in children with cystic fibrosis and healthy peers. Gait Post. 2020;78:60–4. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gaitpost.2020.02.018
30. Umławska W. Adipose tissue content and distribution in children and adolescents with bronchial asthma. Respir Med. 2015 Feb 1;109(2):200–7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rmed.2014.11.006
31. Deane CS, Wilkinson DJ, Phillips BE, Smith K, Etheridge T, Atherton PJ. “Nutraceuticals” in relation to human skeletal muscle and exercise. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2017 Apr;312(4):E282–99. https://doi.org/10.1152/ajpendo.00230.2016
32. Decramer M, Lacquet LM, Fagard R, Rogiers P. Corticosteroids contribute to muscle weakness in chronic airflow obstruction. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 1994;150(1):11–16. https://doi.org/10.1164/ajrccm.150.1.8025735
33. Souza JA, Pasinato F, Basso D, Correa ECR, da Silva AMT. Biophotogrammetry: Reliability of measurements obtained with a posture assessment software (SAPO). Rev Bras Cineantropometria Desempenho Hum. 2011;13:299–305. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1980-00372011000400009
34. Parreira VF, Janaudis-Ferreira T, Evans RA, Mathur S, Goldstein RS, Brooks D. Measurement properties of the incremental shuttle walk test: A systematic review. Chest. 2014 Jun 1;145(6):1357–69. https://doi.org/10.1378/chest.13-2071
35. Reimberg MM, Pachi JRS, Scalco RS, Serra AJ, Fernandes L, Politti F, et al. Patients with asthma have reduced functional capacity and sedentary behavior. J Pediatr (Rio J). 2020;96(1):53–59. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jped.2018.07.011.
36. Lanza FC, Reimberg MM, Ritti-Dias R, Scalco RS, Wandalsen GF, Sole D, et al. Validation of the modified shuttle test to predict peak oxygen uptake in youth asthma patients under regular treatment. Front Physiol. 2018;9:919. https://doi.org/10.3389/ fphys.2018.00919
37. Ram FSF, Robinson SM, Black PN. Effects of physical training in asthma: A systematic review. Br J Sports Med. 2000;34(3): 162–7. https://doi.org/10.1136/bjsm.34.3.162
38. Counil FP, Varray A, Matecki S, Beurey A, Marchal P, Voisin M, et al. Training of aerobic and anaerobic fitness in children with asthma. J Pediatr. 2003 Feb;142(2):179–84. https://doi.org/10.1067/mpd.2003.83
39. Counil FP, Karila C, Varray A, Guillaumont S, Voisin M, Préfaut C. Anaerobic fitness in children with asthma: Adaptation to maximal intermittent short exercise. Pediatr Pulmonol. 2001;31(3):198–204. https://doi.org/10.1002/ppul.1029
40. Klijn PH, Terheggen-Lagro SW, van der Ent CK, van der Net J, Kimpen JL, Helders PJ. Anaerobic exercise in pediatric cystic fibrosis. Pediatr Pulmonol. 2003;36(3):223–9. https://doi.org/10.1002/ppul.10337
41. Boas SR, Danduran MJ, Saini SK. Anaerobic exercise testing in children with asthma. J Asthma. 1998;35(6):481–7. https://doi.org/10.3109/02770909809071001